Saturday, February 13, 2016

Smudging

Mystics say the Native American practice of smudging, or purifying a room with the smoke of sacred herbs, can help clear negative energy from a space. The apparent benefits are steeped in science—when burned, sage and other herbs release negative ions, which research has linked to a more positive mood.
 
On occasion I like to smudge my home. Regardless of spiritual or ceremonial implications, I actually enjoy the way my home smells afterward; a little hippie-dippy.

Thursday afternoon was the last time I indulged this practice. I've been feeling less than stellar this past week, and it's something I've been meaning to do since our last house guest departed.

First I cleaned house. My kitchen was a mess, so I got that in order, tidied up the rest of the space (a never-ending chore). Then I referenced an online "how to", and proceeded to start with cleansing myself in the farthest, lower room in my house, which is the basement utility room.

I wrapped myself in sage smoke from toe to head in clockwise, then counterclockwise circles while saying a prayer. The prayer was about clearing negative energy, thought form, ideas or attachments never to return. After I finished clearing myself, I went through the rest of my house, going around each door and window as well as filling each corner with smoke. I continued repeating the prayer.

When I reached my lower floor bedroom, our dog came out from under the covers to see me. So I cleared her, too. After, she burrowed back under the covers and I went on to finish the room, closet and adjacent bath. Just as I was finishing the bath and about to re-enter the hallway to the bedroom door, our dog sprang out from the bed, charging into the hallway barking as though she were chasing someone. I nearly leaped out of my skin!

After smudging the rest of the house, I felt better, calmer. The next day our dog started having loose stool and has been a bit unwell. I started feeling a bit more blah yesterday and today a bit unwell, too. I feel like either I didn't do something right or perhaps this is part of the bad juju making its way out of our systems. One can only hope ...

No comments: