Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Everyday is a New Adventure

I heard a great saying this evening: "Don't curse your bad luck until you're certain it's not good luck because it could be a blessing in disguise."

A beautiful older woman and culinary maven Diane recited these words at her incredible urban cooking school at the South end of the Post Alley. Diane has been a long time client and friend of my dear friend and Beacon Hill neighbor Mary, who runs Jonkheer, the best tulip stand at Pike Place Market. Mary was invited to bring a guest to tonight's class, so she invited me. What an honor!

We had six courses that were incredibly delicious with mostly all fresh, organic and locally grown ingredients. Our courses were paired with three different, local wines.

Diane, much like myself, lost a lot in her life about five years ago. To her, however, this turned out to be a blessing, an opportunity to create the life she always dreamed of. She was a delight and a complete inspiration, affirming my decision about a year and a half ago to join the journey of those on the road less traveled to personal fulfillment.

Reflecting back on the past few days, I've been living the dream. While I have been tending to work each day, I am loving what I do and therefore don't really ever work a day in my life. Not anymore. Additionally, I'm surrounded by so many incredible individuals who I am so privileged to share adventures with each day.

Friday night I went to an inde flick @ Varsity with my pal Scott. On our way into the theater, as we passed by the movie poster, the fellow walking behind us pointed to the poster and said, "There I am." He was one of the two stars of the film. He and his co-star stuck around for an audience Q&A after the show. While their film lacked soul and was mediocre, it was very engaging to discuss the filmmaking process (not all of which is creative). Scott fell asleep toward the end. It really wasn't that bad. We then sunk into another theater to catch the last five minutes of Phil Donahue's presentation after Body of War, the film he's promoting, ended.

We ventured back out into the bizarre late April snow and found ourselves @ Shanghai in the I.D. Phenominal Chinese food! I highly recommend the mushu pork. Mmmm ...

Post dinner we had a couple drinks @ the new Elite. I was still feeling a bit under the weather, so I'm not sure how great of company I was. Oh well ...

Saturday was pizza, movies and cookie baking at my dear friend Snow's home on Beacon Hill. We watched some Planet Earth and our feature flick, The Descent. OMG, what a totally freaky and disgusting film. I loved it!!!

Sunday I layed low, but yesterday I picked up Scott in Seward Park after a South end showing. We went to Ohana in Belltown, and behold they have happy hour all evening on Mondays! Happy-happy, joy-joy. After a fabulous dinner we ventured over to re-bar for Get Loweded, a variety show of sorts.

While the show stunk because it was created by and featured fat, retarded straight folk, I suppose it would be considered funny to most people once inebriated. They certainly handed out plenty of free booze, including these Dewar's and amaretto shots. They were delicious! Afterward we had a little post-funk Dick's.

Today began in West Seattle with a home inspection followed by lunch with my inspector, who is a good friend and a mild romantic interest. Today ended by taking some time to reflect on my days. I am grateful for today and all those I was fortunate enough to share it with ...

No comments: