Saturday, October 26, 2013

Memorial Dream

After a couple weeks of unrest, I am finally sleeping well again. About a half hour ago I awoke from a vivid dream, another where I saw my dearly departed Grandma.

The dream began in some very strange city with narrow streets lined with concrete walls about three to four feet in height. It could have been in Europe, no offense intended. I was attempting to maneuver my SUV into one of the last remaining parallel parking spaces anywhere in the vicinity of my destination. My purpose there was to browse a consignment shop for furnishings as I was moving into an apartment. Despite moving into a roommate situation, the place was going to be sparse as the person moving out was taking several key pieces with them. My friend Brent made a cameo in this part of my dream.

The consignment shop had many antique pieces dating back to the 1950's and 1960's. They had other eras of furniture represented, but I was favoring the more "retro" mid century modern style furnishings. There was this brilliant wooden console, out of which popped up a vintage stereo. The console was tall and narrow with really cool wood, honey maple with an accent of light blue-green. I don't know how to describe it in words, other than in my dream it was a very unique and fabulous piece.

There was a dark turquoise-ish sofa and then this great light ruby armchair. Someone had already bought the console. I ended up buying the chair, and vaguely recall putting it in the back of my SUV.

The next part of my dream involved a memorial service for my dearly departed Grandma. My business associate Kerri had attended to pay her respects. I arrived late, I don't know what delayed me. Upon my arrival, Senator Ed Murray was just completing a eulogy of sorts. There were men in black suits, and a few members of my mom's family. I saw my aunt and three cousins. One of my cousins hugged me, I nudged by one and walked past the other.

My mom was there grief stricken, but then she wasn't there. I don't recall if it was because I continued on my way, following the procession of pallbearers. This would be quite odd for a memorial service. Still, the procession proceeded ahead of me from an outdoor, grassy area surrounded by evergreens into an enclosed area of hallways, which led to another outdoor area.

Upon entering the hallway I saw my Grandma running in my direction wearing a beautiful fuchsia-colored robe with satin collar, cuffs and hem. She looked like she did in the '80s, with large, set hairdo and her signature round eyeglasses. Her eyes were particularly blue. She had a very determined look on her face, and appeared to not be aware of my presence as she dashed by me. I felt some degree of tension for being able to see her and being unable to truly see her.

I continued through the hallways until I reached the burial site. The men-in-black pallbearers had disbursed. Ed was sitting on the lawn resting on his right elbow adjacent the site. I had been crying, and really just wanted a moment alone, yet held silent for wanting to be polite. Ed remarked about my Grandma being a wonderful lady. In reality he doesn't know anything about her. He and I only barely know one another through my involvement with the Seattle Monorail Project, the GSBA and via a mutual friend.

Sensing my desire to have a moment, Ed gets up and makes mention the ferry will be leaving shortly. I would need to be on my way soon if I intended to catch it. I told him I wasn't taking the ferry. He asked me where I lived and I told him Normandy Park. I asked if he lives in West Seattle and he affirmed, then was on his way.

Of course I consulted with my Dream Book:

Fuchsia: The color fuchsia represents your connection with your spirituality and meditation. You are letting go of old attitudes and ready for change. This color is also associated with emotional stability.

Hallway: Often represents spiritual growth and learning. They can also mean the dreamer has untapped psychic abilities. A dream of walking through a long hallway or corridor can also represent your frustration in trying to escape a repetitive situation.

Furniture: Represents how you feel about yourself and your family. It refers to your relationships with others and how they fit into your life. To dream that you are moving furniture indicates you are going out of your way to please others. Also, you may be changing your ways and trying to reevaluate your relationships/attitudes. To see old or worn furniture in your dream symbolizes outdated attitudes, former relationships and/or old ways of thinking.

Grandmother: To see your grandmother in your dream, represents nurturance, protection and unconditional love. Consider the qualities and characteristics that exist in your own grandmother.

That's all I have time to notate for now as I prepare to embark on a day-long mindfulness retreat.

No comments: