Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11 Dream ...

My husband and I made our annual pilgrimage yesterday to Winterbrook, our dear friend's family's summer home on Orcas Island. We are usually hosted in the newer guest house in a room with a very comfy bed and an incredible, panoramic view of Puget Sound.
My husband and I have been working nonstop the last couple weeks with very little if any significant down time. Last night, the guest bed we slept in at Winterbrook did not disappoint. It was like being in a cloud, and it has been a long time since I had such a really restful night of sleep.

With my sound sleep came vivid dreams. I was in Virginia at a representation of my first best friend's home in Salisbury. My birthday celebration was being held there. Many smiling faces. I recall odd details such as white, antique kitchen appliances and very peculiar ice cubes. The ice cubes were remarkable. They were ornate and shaped like various objects. Some were birthday cakes with candles. Others were Chinese figures that looked like oversize chess pieces. They varied in color. Some were frosted white and sparkled like gems. Others had a dark gray tone to them, mostly the figures, and they too sparkled.

There was more to the dream, what I related was that which really stuck out at me. Of course I consulted my dream dictionary for insights ...

Birthday: To dream about your birthday denotes acceptance of yourself. You are celebrating who you are and coming to terms with who you are as a person. Any celebration is a time for a release of or change in energy, and a birthday gives an opportunity to look back and take stock, from a spiritual perspective, either of the year just past or the decade. Dreaming of a birthday signifies that we have the right to celebrate - either an anniversary or a new phase in life. There may be a sense of anticipation about something which lifts us away from the ordinary. We may have a gift or talent which is now usable.

Ice Cube: To make or see ice cubes in your dream symbolizes your frigid emotions. Alternately it suggests that you may need to cool off. You are letting your temper get out of hand.

Happy: To dream that you are happy may be a means of self help and often indicates that you need some cheering up. You may be trying to compensate for sadness or stress in your waking life.

I think there is truth to much of the above in my waking life. There's such a duality with life. On the one hand things are going well for me for the most part. Yet I am dealing with some significant challenges. Such is life. I believe it's important to strike a healthy imbalance between that which ails us and that which heals us with greater weight/priority given to the latter. I am happy to be at Winterbrook, even if for a brief while ...

Looking back on this day a year ago, I had written a post about my memory of the Sept. 11 domestic attacks. Here's a link to this post: http://postmodernurbanhuman.blogspot.com/2013/09/911-this-day-in-history.html

No comments: