Saturday, May 9, 2015

Tim Wistrom's Seattle

He may not be known to many. In fact I didn't even know who this artist was until I recently did an online search for these works. I recall how captivated I was the first time I laid eyes on one of Tim Wistrom's post-apocalyptic Seattle prints. It may have been this very one. Something so haunting, isolating and beautiful all at the same time. At least to me. Think I was still in elementary school when these works began catching my eye in the early 1980s.
 
Around age nine, I built city ruins in my side yard with bricks and stone. I imagined the perils of ending one civilization and the daunting outlook of beginning a new one out of the rubble. I can't tell you why this fascinated me so. As a youngster I was always happy and exuberantly optimistic. Or perhaps there is a deeper nature in me, in all of us, one that is in touch with the way life works.
 
Just like each passing year; out with the old, in with the new. Seeing this image once more inspires me. I would love to know more about the artist. Perhaps he would allow me a brief interview ... ?

No comments: