Sunday, January 31, 2016

Lyme Disease: I'm not alone

Spent a good portion of the afternoon today at my first social gathering with other Lyme patients. I feel so much more connected as a result. It was so helpful to share with other people who deal with the same challenges. A very positive environment.

People were real, too. I heard similar stories of faded and lost friendships, the taboo of sharing about one's illness with healthy people, having only enough bandwidth for work and home, the inability to predict when one will be feeling well in relation to making future plans, etc.

I found this group to be kind, empathetic, candid and enjoyable. And this disease plays on my vulnerability as an outsider. As an adoptee I was an outsider in my family. As a multi-ethnic person I was an outsider in my community. As a person who is sexually oriented as gay I was an outsider in my society. As an person with a disease I have been an outsider, even to myself I once knew.

If you have Lyme and you're in the Seattle area, you're in luck. There's a growing community of people who care and can help support your journey: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404264989826493/members/

No comments: