Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shop Talk

So my girlfriend Snow and I met at 4:00 p.m. on Friday for happy hour. OK, premature happy hour. OK, shopping and then premature happy hour.

One of our trusty stops was to Nordstrom's flagship store downtown. Admittedly we initially ventured in to see whether the beau hunk, who flirted with me to no end when he rang up the fantastic shirt I purchased for that hoedown party several weeks ago, was on the job. Unfortunately he wasn't, but Snow and I had just as much fun on the main level playing with all the jewelry and accessories.

A favorite section of the store is the extensive sunglasses area. Walls of small cubbies backed with mirrored glass featuring the latest in primairly women's or unisex designer sunshades for the eyes.

Snow picked me out an obnoxious pair of oversize, black and jewel encrusted D&G's to try on, and said. "These are the kind Britney Spears wears," as I was placing them on my face in the mirror.

"Um, these look like shit, but doesn't that just figure if Britney is into such garrish accessories from this particular designer," I replied. "If Britney is wearing these, no one in their right mind is going to buy them. Bad move for Dolce & Gabanna having such a garbage person as a poster child for their brand."

As I was making these remarks I hadn't noticed the slender (gaunt) older sales woman (probably around 60ish) who turned the corner sharply, with her gray hair pulled back tight, head to toe in conservative black with matching black high heel boots. She leered sharply at Snow and I.

We were just walking away, and inside I felt a slight burning about how passive aggressively rude this woman came across in the sneering look she flashed our way. So, I turned back around to her and gave her one of my favorite lines from AbFab.

"You can drop the attitude, you only work in a shop," I recited. Then we continued on our way out of her accessory domaine. Rude. Totally un-Nordstromlike.

Was the sales woman upset because we were fondling her $300 - $400 accessories or was she upset about the comments we made about Britney? Either way, she's not commissioned to have a dissenting opinion as much as she was hired for the primary purpose of serving habitual shoppers like Snow and I. I mean really, we were just having a little fun. Isn't that what shopping is all about?! Bitch ...

1 comment:

Kelly said...

"You work on commission, right? BIG mistake...HUGE...I have to go shopping now..."