Tuesday, July 22, 2008

New Seattle on Two Wheels

Ever want something then suddenly life just mysteriously and simply hands it over to you on a silver platter? I've been wanting a decent street bike for months now, something I could cruise around the city on. My biggest problem has been my lack of storage space. Now that I'm moving into a larger space, I thought it appropriate to start looking for some wheels.

Friday night I was at my friend Flora's birthday on Beacon Hill. She knows quite a bit about bikes, so I asked her whether she would help me shop for a good deal on a used cycle. As it turned out, Flora had just purchased a new one for her partner, so she said I could have their old one. That night I drove home with a very nice, gently used Bianchi! It's a very nice, human-powered two-wheel ride.

Saturday I taught a class with one of my business partners in hopes of drumming up more business. We attracted a couple new clients, which was very nice. To celebrate, I took my new bike out for an inaugural spin, my mini tour de Captiol Hill. I rode from the bottom of the Hill up 15th to the Volunteer Park Cafe. It was an absolutely gorgeous summer day; clear blue skies, sunny and warm. I had one of the best chicken Caesars in my life with a glass of refreshing iced tea while I dove further into the book I'm reading, 'The Art of Racing in the Rain.' After I finished my early supper, I gave myself a special treat; one of the cafe's delicious coconut cupcakes. These delightful mini-cakes are homemade, beautiful and divine.

I have to say, there is something so wonderful about touring through town by bike. It was like being in a new city, a new Seattle. Riding a bike is so much more engaging than driving a car, physically as well as sensory-wise. Biking is peaceful as well as a bit more dangerous. One has to pay even closer attention getting from point A to point B.

After leaving the cafe, I continued my tour through Volunteer Park past the historic glass conservatory, down the hill past lush tree-lined streets with some of the city's finest residences and then down eclectic Broadway.

I had just enough time to take a late afternoon siesta before heading out to a benefit cocktail party on the Eastside in Redmond. The hostess is the good friend of a guy I dated at the end of last summer. He's a total douche bag, but she's sweet as pie. The money raised through the sale of cocktails for donation went to benefit brain tumor research. The hostess' sister was diagnosed with and subsequently had surgery for one around the time the douche and I began dating.

Met some really fantastic people at the party including a fabulous fag hag, a sweet couple from O.C. and a funny gay boy who lives in what's going to be my new neighborhood, SLU. The gay boy and I left the party around the same time, both with plans to hit the (gay) bars. As it turns out, he lives in the same building as, and is friends with, the magazine couple I once knew through my work with the LGBT chamber of commerce. Small world and an even smaller town.

Scotty stayed home ill, but I met Richard out at the Pub along with my buds Brent and Doug. We then ventured over to the Cuff, but unfortunately Brent had misplaced his I.D. and was denied entry. I felt guilty for staying as the boys had driven all the way from Beacon to meet us out, but I had work to do. Nah, but I was meeting my new friend from the party as well as somewhat looking forward to reconnecting with my old acquaintance from the magazine. There was one other reason I wanted to stay as well. I thought perhaps there was a slight chance I might have another run in with the scorching hot gentleman who reintroduced himself to me the Tuesday prior, the one I called later in the week only to be left hanging. Dick.

Instead, I met a tall drink of something standing in line at the middle bar to buy one last beer and close out my tab. His name is Chris (not really, but to me he looks like that should be his name), and he's a chauffeur. He's about 6'4" tall, has soft, thinning silvered hair, the most gorgeous set of blue eyes I've almost ever seen, full lips and one of the most handsome faces I've seen in a long time.

This man Chris was in line in front of me. When he turned around and smiled at me, however, he invited me to move in line in front of him. I told him that wasn't necessary, but he insisted. We continued casually chatting. I don't recall exactly what we talked about, but I don't think any conversational topic mattered to either of us at the time. I'm pretty sure all we were concerned with was staying in each other's presence.

At this point my friend Richard had left and I wasn't really feeling the gay boy, my magazine friend and their "posse." Just then I passed by the guy who reintroduced himself to me on Tuesday. He briefly glanced at me and then whispered something to his friend as we walked by one another. So much for that dick, but I could really have cared less at that point, especially after meeting Chris.

A moment later Chris appeared, and invited me to join him outside where we could talk and get more acquainted. We found a couple of patio chairs outside in the part of the bar often referred to as "the dog run." While I'm still challenged to recall exactly what we discussed, other than the what ifs of possibly going home together, I can tell you I found him to be friendly, sweet and down right genuine. Such qualities go a very long way in my book.

He wanted to dance and I had to relieve myself. So he took my beer inside and asked me to meet him out on the floor. The place was packed and I wasn't sure I'd find him again. Just then he suddenly appeared. He smiled as I approached. We danced a few songs, finished our drinks and then left the bar together.

As we were walking down 13th, he suggested we get some food. I mentioned the Hurricane, a 24 hour dive at the north end of downtown. He was elated as it's one of is favorite late night haunts. So off we went.

We both ordered breakfast. I adore breakfast food. I could practically eat it for every meal. We filled ourselves with some of the usual suspects, eggs, hash browns, etc. Then I drove him home to West Seattle.

Since that night we've seen one another several more times. I'm really enjoying getting to know him. Inside his attractive tall, masculine and handsome exterior dwells a very odd duck who's a bit quirky yet intelligent but also very thoughtful and sincere. He's certainly not your average Joe. Chris is also unpredictable, slightly strange, sweet and gentle. He barely knows me and yet has already offered a handful of times to help me move into my new SLU digs next week. What a guy. Ya know something, I think I might just take him up on it.

Speaking of moving, a brand new client is on the move for a home east of the Cascades in quaint Cle Elum. She came to my Saturday seminar by happenstance, and the next day we were looking at property between exits 78 and 85 off of Interstate 90, just over an hour from the city. What a beautiful place! I found her a gorgeous half acre property on the bank of the Yakima River, surprisingly well within her first time homebuyer price range.

We had a grand time spending our Sunday together, especially after touring one of the most bizarre homes I've ever seen. It was like the Winchester House of Mystery meets David Lynch. We talked about it for nearly an hour afterward because the experience was so weird.

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from my brand new client as we had just met the day before. She is one of the sweetest, most fun-loving people I've met in a long time. We wrote up a contract today for that riverfront property, and while doing so she handed me a card, which read:

"Thank you for making me feel like a very important somebody. You shouldn't have ... but I'm very glad you did. Even though we just met I know you are thoughtful, sincere, smart and witty. Even if this house is not the one for me, thank you so much for your kindness. If it does work out though, I hope you visit anytime you want. Love, Annah"

While I certainly appreciate new clients, making new friends is so much more meaningful and gratifying.

Last night Chris met me for happy hour at the bar across the street. We then came back to my place where I made dinner for the two of us. Afterward we ventured down Broadway to rent a movie, Shortbus (one of my all time favorites he had never seen). Then swung by the store and bought kernels to pop. We curled up on the sofa to watch our movie and eat our homemade popcorn while the lights of city skyscrapers sparkled in the background outside my top floor windows.

There was one scene in the movie that really caught Chris' funny bone. He roared with laughter and wasn't able to pull himself back together for quite some time. This was an amusing spectacle to watch. It was great to see him so happy and alive. When he smiles at me I can feel it in my chest.

While I had initially hoped to reconnect with that dick from Tuesday, lord only knows why, life handed me something else, someone who is real, noteworthy and enjoyable to be with. Perhaps Chris is just Mr. Right Now and that's perfectly alright by me. Something tells me there's quite a bit more to come with this one. Only time will tell ...

No comments: