Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Goodbye, Thirtysomething ...

Today was the last day of my thirties, and what a spectacularly beautiful day it has been. I was up and at 'em early with an 8:30 AM meeting reconnecting with a long time colleague at 909 Coffee & Wine in Old Town Burien. Had lunch with a close friend at Cafe Presse on Capitol Hill. Then I reported to my Wallingford office to craft my monthly real estate newsletter. In the midst of creating, my BFF pinged me via text. She flew in early this morning for business as well as to celebrate my birthday with a zero. As it turns out BFF made herself a mobile office and was camping out at Fresh Flours in Ballard. I would be remiss if I didn't get to sync up with her before heading home.

We visited, teased and likely annoyed anyone within gabbing distance of us. She looked fabulous as always, actually even more so today. We strolled around Ballard Ave for a bit, ducking into one kitchen and home shop. I was feeling peckish, but not for glutenous baked goods from Fresh Flours. Thought I'd see if Bastille still had French onion soup on the menu. Didn't see that they did, and sensed BFF was concerned about time. She was to meet her sister and mom at Ray's within the hour. Behold I spotted a gelato shop. Since it is my birthday week, and since it is so sunny, I thought why not indulge.

I had a small coconut and chocolate. Boy were these two flavors incredibly delicious. We gabbed and chatted some more. I regaled BFF with stories about my first homosexual dating experiences in college. Yes, I will have to post about this, at some point ... We learned about one another's namesakes. She was named after a college campus whore and I was named after some campy soap opera character.

BFF had her fill of my stories and I had my fill of gelato. She continued onto Ray's at Shilshole and I made my way back home in fairly reasonable rush hour. What a gorgeous sky, crystal blue with big, white, puffy clouds.

Once home I got the mail (which included a thick card from my mom), registered for my continuing education conversational Spanish III class and took our little Millie dog outside to do her business. Then it was onto setting up my out of office messages for tomorrow. In the midst of doing this, I ran across a funny post on Facebook. It was one of those images with text, and it said "Describe your last FART using only a MOVIE TITLE." This looked like just the type of thing another close friend, who had earlier in the day acknowledged it as my last while being 39, would get a kick out of. So I sent it to her along with "Gone With the Wind."

Her: Lethal Weapon
Me: LOL ... Sound of Music
Her: Pete's Dragon ... The Fog ... Independence Day ... Lol ... Scream
Me: Silence of the Lambs
Her: Lol ... Red Dawn ... Predator ... Predator vs. Aliens
Me: Ghost Busters
Her: The Thing ... 28 Days Later
Me: Home Alone
Her: Lol ... Jeepers Creepers ... K-Pax
Me: Emmett Otter's Jug Band Xmas
Her: Lmao!!
Me: The Exorcist
Her: The Mist
Me: Steel Magnolias
Her: Lol!! ... Stomp the Yard
Me: Mistic Pizza
Her: Lol
Me: One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest
Her: The Shining ... Deliverance
Me: Lol
Her: I'm crying!!!
Me: Smokey & the Bandit
Her: Lol ... Sleeping with the enemy
Me: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Her: Lmao!!!
Me: Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead
Her: Lol
Me: It ... Mask
Her: To Wong fu thanks for everything Julie newmar ... Mask! Lol
Me: Mary Poppins
Her: Lol ... A fish called Wanda ... Moonstruck
Me: Avatar
Her: Captain America
Me: Green Lantern
Her: Lol
Me: Nightmare on Elm Street
Her: Lol ... Mrs doubt fire
Me: Nice!!
Her: Short Circuit
Me: The Three Amigos ... The Mexican
Her: Days of Thunder
Me: Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome
Her: Lol
Me: American Beauty ... Black Beauty ... Magic Mike
Her: Lol ... The black hole
Me: James & the Giant Peach ... Runaway Train
Her: Lol
Me: Pompeii ... Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Her: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Me: Porky's
Her: Animal House
Me: Jurassic Park
Her: Lol

My husband arrived home during this, hair freshly cut. He looked so handsome. Of course I had to share some of our text thread highlights. I alluded to not being available at the time he specified I be home by tomorrow. He was anything but pleased. See, hubby and BFF have been planning something for my 40th. I know there's a party, just not sure exactly when and where. My sense is it's tomorrow. It could be Friday. It's not an all out surprise as I was asked for a guest list. We'll see ...

We made beef tacos for dinner, watched some TV (Glee, Mindy Project) while I connected with a possible agent referral from Atlanta and updated my work website (and work website blog).

All in all I would say this was as good a day as any. In fact, I would say it was a great day! Guess I had best get some rest. Tomorrow I welcome 40. My rough plan is to:
Meditate
Breakfast
Yoga
Body Scan
Lay Flowers on my Grandma's Grave
Lunch Downtown
Day Spa (maybe massage)
Home by 5:30 PM (or so I'm told, and that my clothes will already be laid out for me - intriguing. I'm also told I'll want to look my best tomorrow for the photographer - hmmm ...)

I have two hours left of my thirties here on the Pacific coast. I live really close to SeaTac, I could quickly go hop a flight to Hawaii ... Nah, I'm just feeling super lucky to be in the here and now.

No comments: