Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cele Hahn

The day after my 40th birthday I received the following email:

Subject: Cele has passed

Cele Ferner Hahn
March 21, 1942 - April 11, 2014


Message: Cele passed away this morning in a Puerto Vallarta, MX, hospital after several medical challenges in recent months. May she rest in peace. I thank God for her presence in our lives.
Thea, Chris and I thank you for your thoughts and prayers. We will sorely miss her, but know that she has gone on to a better place. We honor her by the many ways she has touched all of us.

Curt
...from my iPad Air

A few days later I received another email message from Curt, which just had the following URL:
http://www.masslive.com/living/index.ssf/2014/04/cynthia_simison_former_westfield_state_rep_cele_hahn_remembered.html.

Cele and Curt Hahn have been my next door neighbors for several years at my vacation home in Mexico. I don't know them all too well aside from briefly conversing with them while visiting San Pancho. Even so, I've only known their kindness.

There were times I know we were sitting outside being loud and boisterous late into the night. Their bedroom is right above my back garden, so there's not a lot of noise dampening. I recall chatting with Cele following a night of our "liveliness." She wondered how we planned to celebrate the upcoming Christmas holiday. I mentioned our friend had brought some beautiful wines down with her from Napa. She offered us the use of their wine glasses in the event we didn't have any. During that same trip they mentioned they were making a run to Costco in Vallarta and wanted to know if we needed anything.

Even during times when things weren't going as well as they could have, they were still kind. My almond tree in front of the house is quite messy. After my ex fired our gardener, the almond tree mess had built up substantially in front of both our homes. In the kindest of ways they approached me, even offering to have someone come and tend to the tree for us.

There's an expression that great fences make great neighbors. I wholeheartedly disagree. Good people make great neighbors.

An office colleague and friend is paying a visit to my casita in San Pancho this week. I crafted a hand written condolence card for Curt on some of my personal stationery. It's my aim to send this down with him as U.S. Mail is unfortunately not an option. I haven't been able to bring myself to write him an email reply. That just seems far too impersonal, even if we've only had a handful of occasions to connect.

I found the following quote, and wrote it onto the top half of my card:
"I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love." - Leo Buscaglia

Cele had just barely turned 72, just a couple years older than my mom. Curt seems to me like a very good, sincere man. I wonder how he'll get on.

No comments: