Thursday, October 16, 2014

Life's Small Miracles in Two Cities

Have you ever been at your best and worst at the same time? Life keeps throwing proverbial curve balls, one after the other, sometimes simultaneous. You press on through the challenges head on. Overwhelmed often times, seemingly unable to catch a break.

In 20 days I will run out of thyroid medication, which has enabled me to live a normalesque quality of life. I'm supposed to be out of the country the week after next. My chronic symptoms, such as having reactions to basic foods I'm accustomed to eating, have flared up during the past few weeks.

My mom is battling stage four lung cancer, health benefits close to expiring, living on a small fraction of median income, desperately needing affordable housing and dealing with a life "partner" who is far less than uncooperative.

Then there's finding time to actually run my business amid giving what time I can to my mom. Sometimes it is all just a lot.

Yesterday as I was in the middle of phone calls trying in vain to find someone who can help me secure the medication I require, my mom started to cry. She looked down despairingly, shaking her head she said rhetorically, with such dramatic inflection in her voice, "What's happened to our lives?" Something about her including me in her pity party really struck a nerve.

"I'm good with my life, mom, just have some challenges," I said. "I don't have problems with my problems." This may have been more along the lines of wishful thinking yesterday as I was reaching a breaking point of frustration, understandably.

After this morning's oncology appointment, I was able to share some encouraging, positive news about my mom. I then received the following response from my dearest friend, who replied all to my mom's contact list:

"I speak for everyone when I say, Thank you BW Davis! It’s comforting to know Patty has such an advocate in you.
I’m sending love and strength to you both as I know it must be challenging for you to manage your own
health, your business and your mom’s special needs. You’re an amazing son and I know your mom glows with
appreciation and pride J Biggest Hugs in the world! Stay strong and positive and keep the updates coming.

xo M"

Have noticed this odd dovetailing between my mom's and my best friend's lives. My mom is diagnosed with cancer. My best friend gets engaged. My mom's health is improving. My best friend, who is "unofficially" pregnant (it's now just week seven), texts me tonight from the ER ...

Bestie: "Bleeding w/tissue. Taking blood, urine and doing ultrasound. Waiting for J. Keep u posted. Real possibility that the little guy wants to move on"

Me: "Oh shit! Are you OK, do you need anything? What can I do? Could mean more bed rest. Keep calm. God makes no mistakes."

Bestie: "Just send good thoughts and strength and vibes of acceptance. I think that there is something not right. Tissue in the blood."

Me: "Of course, have already shared with Terry. All our love & positive thoughts are on their way. 

Bestie: "Emoticon of a winky face blowing a heart kiss."

Me: "Emoticons of hearts and lipstick kiss marks alternating in a single row. My mom, Terry & I just lit a candle. We all held hands around it and sent you infinite love, strength and positive thoughts. We all love you SO very much!"

Bestie: "Thank you. Had ultra sound and pelvic examine. Waiting for dr to review. Did see ultrasound and saw the baby. Tech said right where he should be and I saw his heart beating. Blood could be associated with embro burrowing. I feel positive but not out if woods yet. Love to u!!!!"

Me: "Still holding good thoughts, thank you for the update. Keep me posted, please. Love you!!!"

Bestie: "We will. It positive and I'm not cramping"

Me: "Our thoughts are with all 3 of you. XO"

Bestie: "Thank you!"

Besite: "We were released and they said pregnancy is normal and bleeding is Normal. Okay to wait for dr on Monday. Phew

Me: Thank God! We are so happy. You must feel such a sense of relief. You already have the perfect mommy instinct by immediately addressing concern. Love u!

Bestie: "Thank you! So relieved"

Me: "The ultra sound is amazing! I'm so glad all 3 of you are OK. We will all sleep well tonight. Rest yourself, my dear."

Bestie: "Xo"

Seeing this little miracle on screen, I'm awestruck and humbled. Life itself is so delicate, seemingly always hanging in some precarious balance. Yet it is resilient.

Despite the challenges I'm facing head on right now, I am so grateful for these magic moments when we can brilliantly illuminate life's dark, uncertainty. At times I have felt fragile and defeated only to be reminded I have someone great willing to be my champion, and me theirs. This gives me such strength and fills my heart.

I want to one day tell my best friend's beautiful child about the first trick they played, almost in time for Halloween even.

Earlier today my neighbor enthusiastically thinned out the giant magnolia tree in front of our home because he wanted to. When he was finished, he hauled the huge pile of branches away and re-raked. When I thanked him, he said it was just a good day to do it, the weather was right. It was clear out, calm. Today the sun shined favorably on us all ...

No comments: