Friday, December 12, 2014

First Anniversary Storm + Dream

Yesterday marked my husband and my first wedding anniversary. We were married on the 11th day of the 12th month of the 13th year of the new millennium at the Fifth Avenue Theatre, where we had first met nine years previous almost to the day.
(From left to right) Mom, yours truly, my husband, his sister, our bestie pose for a post ceremony photo opportunity at the main entrance to the Fifth Avenue Theatre in Downtown Seattle on the 11th of December, 2013.
I had planned a fabulous day and evening for us, starting with taking in a matinee of Mockingjay at Cinerama, followed by a spa retreat in the afternoon and then a lovely dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, Loulay, that evening. We were about a third of the way into the movie when I began having a food reaction to the sandwich I had just eaten (at least I think it was the sandwich). So we left the flick and rolled down a few blocks to the nearest urgent care clinic. They treated me with a benedryl injection and monitored my vitals for a while before releasing us. Of course the injection induced drowsiness, so it was back home to rest and rest I did for about three or four hours.

My husband has been working so incredibly hard lately, and in very challenging conditions. We're both under quite a bit of stress, and I wanted yesterday to be really amazing. Instead we had yet another fire to put out.

Still, even in the midst of disappointment, my husband showed me true care and compassion. I cannot imagine he was not let down. I'm quite sure we were both looking forward to having an indulgent day together as well as the opportunity for much wanted connection.

While I was still coming out of my groggy haze from the benedryl, my husband picked up some provisions and made us all (mom and Al included) a nice steak dinner with baked potatoes and sauteed haricot verts. At our small reception one year ago, we dined on filet mignon, so it was a perfect nod to what had been so much our perfect day. And for me a reminder of how perfect an imperfect day can still be. I am incredibly fortunate to have such a loving, understanding, compassionate and patient husband.

Of course my mom and Al were concerned about my health, too. Add me to that list as well. While my illness has been going on for more than two years now, I can honestly say these troubling incidents are fewer and farther between overall. Still, I cannot help wondering whether things will get better or ... I want so badly to believe I am healing and I can fully restore my health.

I have to say the big storm that blew through yesterday evening was the perfect end to our turbulent and nothing-went-as-planned day. As we were sitting down to eat sometime after 8:00 p.m. last night, a couple booming explosions abruptly halted our pleasant dinner conversation as the house suddenly went dark. No sooner had the house gone dark, the lights came back on. Finally one last flicker and we maintained our power despite the howling winds outside. Living in a wooded area with huge trees all around us, I cannot help being a bit nervous during high wind storms.

After dinner we all sat on our sectional sofa in the living room. Terry brought out our wedding cake slice we had stored in our freezer for the past year. I fed him a small bite and then took one for myself, just out of the box it had been stored in. I had had the thought to fish my Grandma's beautiful gold-leafed antique cake plate out of our storage to give us at least something grand to ponder as we indulged in a long-standing tradition. It's just as well. Grandma's cake plate was historically and exclusively reserved for birthdays. I think it's good to honor traditions. According to the wedding cake tradition of having a bite one year later, it's to remind us of our wedding and help us reflect on the sweetness of our first year as a married couple. I'm also told we are to expect some luck.

While luck and good fortune are fine ideas, I also acknowledge how powerful it is to be cause in the matter of one's life. Which brings me to last night's dream. I was with some childhood friends, as we are in our current age. We were hiking up to this vacation home that had been in one of my friend's family for years and years. This home was at the top of a mountain in a very mountainous area. It almost looked like the Appalachians. Rounded mountains lushly forested with green deciduous trees. Somehow we were also close to the ocean. We were hiking upon a mountain top and shielding ourselves from high tide waves that were pushing huge piles of seafoam in our direction. It was quite bizarre. This was all occurring during what was otherwise a beautiful, bright, sunshiny day. As quick as the tide raged in, it receded, leaving what had once been a sparkling lake in the valley below an empty, dry lakebed. I also remember roaming through the old house. It had some charming qualities about it, and it also needed quite a bit of work. That's about all I recall.

Dream Interpretations:

Mountains: To see mountains in your dream signify many major obstacles and challenges that you have to overcome. If you are on top of the mountain, it indicates you have achieved and realized your goals. You have recognized your full potential. Alternatively, mountains denote a higher realm of consciousness, knowledge and spiritual truth. To dream you are climbing a mountain signifies your determination and ambition.

High Tide: To dream of high tide is indicative of favorable progression in your affairs.

Cottage: To see a cottage in your dream represents comfort, peace and serenity. You prefer a quiet life of simplicity. The cottage may also represent an altered sense of reality and thus may be a means of escaping the responsibilities and problems associated with your home. You need to approach life's difficulties one at a time.

Foam: To see foam in your dream signifies light heartedness and pleasure.

Water:To see water in your dream symbolizes your unconscious and your emotional state of mind. Water is the living essence of the psyche and the flow of life energy. It is also symbolic of spirituality, knowledge, healing and refreshment.

Day: To dream of the day denotes improvement in your situation and pleasant associations. A sunny day symbolizes clarity and/or pleasantness. You are seeing things clearly.

In all it seems my dream puts me in a positive place. I have to say, things are in some ways looking up. My mom's house in Idaho is pending sale, slated to close just after the first of the year. I've also found an ideal place for them here, and we're awaiting a mutually accepted contract any minute now. Having mom and Al in their own space will be a huge win all the way around. Now to continue working on my health ...

No comments: