Friday, December 5, 2014

The third daze ...

Al clogged the toilet. Otherwise the day went pretty smooth overall. My husband and I were of course busy. He has a couple of weekdays off. So we pack in as many "to do's" as possible, which isn't necessarily healthy. We're still working on getting our clothes situation sorted out. I relinquished my entire closet to the old folks, so I've still a few piles of clothes in and around the basement yet to be put away or packed.

I've been feeling like I'm the one who has been moving, like it's my life that suddenly has to be uprooted and resorted. Admittedly I cannot help but feel a little resentful for the proverbial shit having rolled downhill in my direction. Yet what are my options? Not help my mom? If she didn't come with so much baggage, a.k.a. Al, I may be willing to transform the basement into a lovely mother in law unit and have her stay with us.

So after a full day of working around the house and getting our massive tree in the stand as well as in the house, I was able to take a little siesta. Oh that was such an appreciated luxury.

It was also my husband's work Christmas party, which started at 4:00 p.m. He said the last thing he wanted to do on his day off is sit in a bar with his colleagues. His boss had several extra tickets to the main event following supper, which was a holiday cruise around Lake Washington on the Spirit of Seattle. She was kind enough to extend the invitation to the old folks as well. So we brought them along.

I have to admit, albeit kitschy, it was very festive. The ship was outfitted in perfect strings of white lights. The MC was somewhat entertaining. It was a really dry night with no wind, so the lake surface was smooth as glass. They had a choir aboard, Emerald City Blend. They were quite good, and I think the old folks were thoroughly entertained. Though it was a three hour tour, which was a bit lengthy, especially having started at 7:00 p.m. We all slept hard last night. The day went without incident. I don't recall my mom having gotten upset or crying once. Success!

No comments: