Saturday, December 6, 2014

The fourth daze ...

Yesterday morning I'm in the kitchen making breakfast. My mom comes in as I'm finishing up and getting ready to leave for work. She asks me how to get to the nearest Costco so they can pick up their prescriptions. I acknowledge I'll help her with a map, and quickly print one out from my phone to the downstairs wifi printer. She asks me for a fourth or fifth time about getting someone out to root her side sewer line. How many times does one have to go in circles about something before they just makes moves and get it done? Watching my mom spin in circles, which I've been doing repeatedly since being looped into helping her sort her life out, is beyond exasperating for me. Just pick up the fucking phone, dial a number and have a conversation.

Then I'm on my way downstairs to go get the printout and my mom asks me if I can give them a map. Yeah, I'm in the process of doing that right now. Thank you.

I've about 10 minutes before I need to make moves. I have a couple of work things to bang out on my laptop. I'm discovering I can no longer do so casually on my sofa. In loafs Al, and suddenly there's a new request. I overhear him talking with my mom about another person who has called him direct about showing her house. I thought I had already handled that. Guess not. So I pause once more what I'm in the middle of, no big deal it's just my life, and switch gears to assist Al. He has to go through several messages before he gets the number. Instead of just dictating it, he has to write everything down. OK, so Kudos deserved here. At least he writes stuff down, unlike my mom who just runs around in circles when she could easily create a to do list to complete and mark things off of.

No sooner do I complete Al's tasking of me, I realize my 10 minutes have just run out and I've got to make tracks. So away I went ...

Mom and Al had plans last night. They went to a grandson's basketball game in Bothell. By the time my husband and I returned home, we were both spent. So we just had some leftovers, hung out on the sofa for a bit and then watched TV in bed (something we only do when staying in a hotel). Being together in a quiet house was nice. I just feel this energy of having to do stuff all the time. I don't know if it's the old folks' anxiety I'm picking up on, or if I've developed a new level of anxiety of my own living in what feels like a temporary situation between houses. Wait, I thought they were the ones relocating. Guess misery enjoys company.

So my husband and I drift off around 9:30/10:00 p.m. I don't know what time it was when the old folks came home. It woke the house. The alarm console is right next to our bed. It registers any door opening or closing with a very affirmative "dong" sound. I would anticipate two dongs. One for door opening. Another for door closing. I counted like a dozen or so dongs. I don't know what in the hell they were doing with the door. I really don't want to know. Actually, I think they were having trouble getting the knob locked. At one point hubby got out of bed to assist. My mom was apologetic. I'm now wide away. I don't know what time it was. Oh well ...

I know, I'm being negative. I'm just venting my frustrations. I think it helps. I want my life back!

No comments: