Sunday, December 6, 2015

Birthday Wishes

From left to right: Yours truly, my husband, Kelly - December 12, 2011 - at a holiday party. This was just shy of a year before my health took a nosedive.
This evening my long time friend Kelly is having a dinner gathering at her place. Upon receiving the invite I immediately pledged my intent to at least make an appearance. My in-laws are with us this weekend.

Well, thankfully this new medical treatment is not kicking my ass. Even so, it's definitely throwing my system for a bit of a loop.

I had last week prepared a little speech for the occasion, and to support my health I'm continuing to lay low at home. Thought it would be fun to share:


Picture it, Bellevue, late spring in the year 2000. You walked into an otherwise almost empty conference room in a stylish, modern downtown office along with a woman who looked old enough to be your great aunt and butch enough to be wearing a tool belt. You exemplified poise (and I do mean that literally) and utmost professionalism. I’m pretty sure you were wearing a light weight black trench coat. I can say with absolute certainty your lips were the most fabulous shade of crimson, perfectly applied. Your smile illuminated the room. Here you are this striking beauty with flawless skin who presented herself elegantly and spoke so eloquently. You just always do, well when you’re not clownin’ around. We’ll get to that later … I thought to myself, “Wow, now there’s someone who really has their shit together.” Your elder colleague didn’t stand a chance next to you, though her flamboyant personality more than made up for her dowdy appearance.

Our very first conversation was you and Sam interviewing me. I can only deduct I met with yours and your (are you sure she’s not lesbian, and it’s so totally cool if she is) manager’s approval as we soon worked together in the same, small and yet stylishly modern Belltown office.

On my first day working with you, you commandeered our office sound system and played “Golden Ticket” from the original 1971 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory soundtrack. You dedicated the song to me. I don’t think it was the music that drew out your incredible inner child that day. Either way you transformed from this perfect professional to a fun-loving, let-your-hair-down kind of gal. I was more than intrigued.

It was on our first walk home from work together via Pike Place that really cemented our bond. Most specifically it was when you said to me, “Hey, Brad, guess what.” You suddenly stopped mid-sidewalk, lifted a cheek in my general direction and all out broke wind. You had me at “bbbbbllllrrrrpppfffffftttt.”

You know you’re going to get along famously with someone when you’re so almost instantaneously that comfortable in one another’s presence to be fully self-expressed. Like family. I would be remiss to not acknowledge from that moment you opened a door, and in that now obscure First Avenue storefront doorway, moments after your biological declaration, I know I returned fire. And we laughed some more …

Over the following 15 years we have been co-workers, co-commuters, pals, talent/rep., dear friends, confidants, even neighbors and all around otherwise connected on many planes. We have had many adventures together, seen each other evolve from our twenties into fortysomething (who’s counting anymore). We’ve laughed ourselves into virtual hyperventilation fits, been there for each other at our best and our worst, and it has all been for the best. Best. Most inspiring is having witnessed how you’ve developed as an artist, as an individual and as a truly wonderful mother. You’re one of a kind, Ms. Jackson. Our relationships are all a part of our collective consciousness, and your friendship is like having a golden ticket.
As is the natural order, all our connections ebb and flow over time. No, not that flow. We may not see each other every day like we used to during those first few fun-filled years, and we may even go for weeks without contact. Even so, we seem to be able to quickly pick right back up where we left off as if no time has passed us by. I am so grateful for that, for you and for how we continue to enhance each other’s lives. No matter how the hours stroll by, I think of you fondly. To this and many more joyous birthdays with much love, Kelly, thank you for being a true friend.

No comments: