Sunday, December 6, 2015

Small Awakening


Some months ago I had stumbled upon the notion the same patterns show up in our lives until we learn the lessons we need to from them. Only then can we truly change and get beyond those patterns. This may have been during a session with my energist Erika.

For me it has been this three years of chronic illness. I've already written so much about it I'm sick of it figuratively and literally.

More recently, one of my most dear friends shared this:

"Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know." - Pema Chodron

Something simple and internally profound came into my awareness as I was cooking just a little while ago regarding this very principle.

I've already realized the blessings my illness has given me:
  • Focus
  • Youthful appearance (totally superficial and appreciated nonetheless as I continue to age)
  • Discovering who is meant to evolve with me
  • Likely a better second half of my life than I would have had otherwise
  • Avoidance, ideally, of more serious illness or disease
  • Enhanced spirituality and a path via Buddhism
The list could go on, and it does ...

A very simple notion occurred to me in my kitchen. My body influencing my knowing around gratitude. I once took for granted my physical capabilities, my enjoyment of food and drink, etc. Those things seem simple and expected. Yet they are quite huge gifts. I didn't used to see them in this light. Suddenly I do.

Even though I haven't been running on all cylinders the past few years, and this new treatment has presented me with a new set of challenges, I'm so incredibly grateful for all I am still able to be and do.

No comments: